Sunday, January 27, 2008

Holy guacamole


Yesterday I won third prize in the 6th Annual Guacamole Bowl at the Kellogg Ranch Farm Store. The competition was pretty intense, and it was judged by a chef from the Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch who definitely knew how to put on a show. I actually found myself getting really nervous as he kept going back to taste my guacamole along with a couple of others (which turned out to be the first and second place finishers). Incidentally, one thing the judge praised about each of the top three finishers was the nice avocado flavor. I actually got the avocados from last week's organic produce box that we got from the Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm we belong to, Tierra Miguel Farm, so I thought I'd give them a little shout-out.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my recipe with all of you -- I am not proprietary about it since (a) it is a very traditional recipe, and (b) I adapted it from my friend Teresa's recipe in the first place. That being said, though, if any of you show up at next year's Guacamole Bowl with this recipe as your entry, I will kick your ass. :) Anyway, without further ado, below is my prize-winning recipe...

Gloriously Garlicky Guacamole

There are no peppers in this guacamole -- the spiciness comes from the extreme quantity of garlic. Warning: if you eat a lot of this, you will stink.

12 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, leaves only, coarsely chopped
3 very ripe roma tomatoes
3 ripe avocados
juice of 1/2 lime
salt

Smash the garlic in a molcajete. Sprinkle some salt on it and set aside.

Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out and discard all seeds and guts. Finely chop the tomatoes and put them in a large bowl with the onion, cilantro, and lime juice.

Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the insides into the molcajete. Smash the avocados into the garlic, leaving some lumps of avocado.

Spoon the avocados and garlic into the bowl and stir everything together, adding salt to taste. Be gentle when stirring, to leave the guacamole chunky and not too smooth.

Enjoy!

An update regarding this "fatosphere" stuff: On Thursday, I had 1129 hits, the vast majority of which came from Google searches for "fatosphere". The numbers are back down now (138 on Friday and 41 yesterday), but they're still slightly elevated, so I'm hoping we have some new regular readers. Welcome to all of you, and feel free to comment!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo congratulations! will have to try this out.

K said...

That is definitely some wonderful stuff, as I can gratefully attest. Congratulations!

Mary said...

Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

Holy guacamole, indeed! congratulations! And while I'm sure much of the credit goes to all that garlic, those were, indeed, some great avocados they sent last week ...

Fat Chick said...

Update on fatosphere: I'll always be a fan!

And holy moly, that guac does look mighty tasty indeed!

Melissa said...

Hey! I'm one of those "googlers" and have been reading your blog ever since!

Nice looking guacamole I must say!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I'm one of those "googlers" and have been tuned in ever since!

That's some mighty fine guacamole I must say!

N. said...

I can say that your guacamole is some of the best I've ever tasted. It is the shit.

Congrats on your award!!

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds great. I'll be trying it!