Sunday, February 10, 2008

Whip it good


Oh, man, did I have a great time in Vienna. Pretty much every aspect of my trip was fabulous, but the baked goods and the coffee were phenomenal. Much better than expected (and I had high expectations).

Pictured here is the famous sachertorte from Cafe Sacher. I can't begin to describe how delicious it was. And as my travel companion can attest, I was really excited about the whipped cream. The torte itself was out of this world, but the whipped cream... ahh, the whipped cream. It was the densest whipped cream I've ever had, and not too sweet. In fact I'm not sure there was any sugar in it at all. Which is normally not how I like things, but this was so good. I think it revolutionized my thinking about whipped cream (and yes, believe it or not, whipped cream is something I've put a not insignificant amount of thought into over the years).

The coffee pictured here (a 'brauner', i.e. espresso with a little pitcher of milk)was also fantastic. It was the best espresso I've ever had, even better than Caffe Trieste (who, incidentally, have put out a call for someone wanting to open a new location in SoCal... anybody want to open one down here and be my new best friend?).

Back to more substantive topics next time (probably).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in Washington you should try Bronson and Bratdorf. They make some of the best espresso if you like it nice and rich.

Mary said...

Thanks so much for the tip! I may be in Washington this summer so I'll check it out. I also see from their website that they have locations in the Atlanta area. I'll be there in April, so maybe I can check it out then.