Friday, June 06, 2008

National Donut Day


Today is National Donut Day. I shit you not!

There is even a fun quiz for you to take on the LaMar's website (warning: the interface isn't great because when you mouse over the question it shows you the answer). I scored 5 out of 10 -- d'oh!

Unfortunately I don't know of a good donut place around here (in fact I don't know of *any* in the immediate area; my primary criterion for a 'good donut place' is that they use white pastry cream, like at Krispy Kreme, rather than custard, in their cream-filled donuts). So I'm going to have a bagel for breakfast... at least it's got a hole.

Thanks to Admiral Seamus for the tip!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I meant no disrespect to the Donut Man, by the way. It's just that Glendora is kind of a hike from here. Also, they use custard filling (but otherwise they are really awesome).

Anonymous said...

How very, very wrong you are. White frosting, as opposed to pastry cream, is just one of the many things wrong with Krispy Kreme and, indeed, Southern donuts in general.

White frosting is disgusting. It tastes like Crisco mixed with sugar -- not surprisingly, since that's what it is.

Mary said...

I'm going to ignore the assault on my taste and just address the Crisco issue: All of Krispy Kreme's donuts have zero trans fats, so they can't be using the original Crisco. If it turns out they're using trans fat-free Crisco, I don't mind. I eat donuts like once a year, and when I do, I'm not going for health food.