Monday, October 15, 2007

Cupcakes


It was another great weekend. The Buckeyes are #1, thanks to LSU's loss to Kentucky and Cal's (unfortunate) loss to Oregon State. And we had a nice dinner with our friends last night. And we went to the Lebowskifest, where the main highlight (for me, anyway) was the costume contest -- there was a Dude that looked just like the Dude, and a Walter that looked just like Walter. It was eerie. But I have to admit that the best part of my weekend was our trip to Canter's after the Lebowskifest on Friday night, and in particular, the cupcake that I got there.

We're usually too full for dessert when we eat there, but on Friday I just wanted dessert. So I asked the waiter what was their best dessert, and he mentioned a few things including 'hi hats'. My ears perked up at this because I have a cupcake cookbook that includes a kind of complicated recipe for hi-hats in which the author goes on and on about how great they are. So I figured I should have one and see what all the fuss is about, and oh my god. You have not lived until you have eaten a hi hat. Basically they are chocolate cupcakes with white frosting on top and then they're dipped in a coating of chocolate (the photo above shows one that has been dissected). I am going to have to try making these. I found a version of the recipe here that looks promising. I have a feeling that the white frosting in this recipe can't be as good as what they use at Canter's, which is just the most delicious bakery cake-type frosting, but who knows.

7 comments:

Sean Spellman said...

Those 'hi-hats' were pretty tasty...they also made pretty great percussion devices...

I'm pretty sure I caught you gloating a little bit at Cal's "unfortunate" loss....:)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should tell your friends about your blog, insetad of telling your friends' husbands about your blog.

BOILERMAKERS FOREVER!!!

Mary said...

Dude, anonymous, I totally put her on the big announcement email I sent out when I started the blog. Maybe her spam filter didn't think I was cool enough. As for "boilermakers forever" I assume you must be talking about that delicious cocktail made with beer and whiskey, since surely Purdue football cannot possibly have any fans left after its performances the last couple of weeks... Oh no she didn't!

Sean Spellman said...

Oh, snap! You're not sayin'--you're just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

Are they better than molten chocolate lava cake?

Anonymous said...

also, stanford beat usc. but i don't understand the implications.

Mary said...

Aditi -- yes, I think they are better than molten chocolate lava cake because molten chocolate lava cake doesn't have delicious white frosting on it! That's what really makes the hi hat.

As for Stanford-USC, yes, that was totally awesome. The reason it matters is that USC was #2 in the nation, so if they had won that game and the rest of their games then they would have been virtually guaranteed a spot in the national championship game. Now it will be very hard for them to climb back up to #2 to get into that game, because they have dropped down to #14 (the ranking is based partly on how good your opponents are, so if you lose to a team like Stanford that's not in the top 25, that hurts you more). And USC was favored by 41 points, so nobody expected Stanford to beat them. I'm sure everybody up there must have been really excited! (Along with those of us down here who can't stand USC.) The USC loss was one of several surprising upsets in the top 10 so far, which has made it a very interesting year for college football so far.