Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I heart Paul Campos

I just became aware of an awesome blog called Lawyers, Guns and Money that is definitely worth checking out. One of the bloggers is Paul Campos (I've mentioned him before), who's posted a couple of truly excellent pieces on fat in the last week or so. This one addresses the role of pharmaceutical companies in creating the "obesity epidemic", and this one takes apart the claim that the entire population is going to be "overweight" or "obese" by the year 2048. I always appreciate what Campos has to say because he has done a lot of research and he is a very clear writer. Sadly, he describes himself in his Blogger profile as a fan of University of Michigan football (to which I have already gone on record as saying this), but I'm willing to look past it.

On a different topic, one thing I am *not* willing to look past is Anthony Bourdain's remarks about "obesity". If you are prepared for some serious hate-spewage, check out this video where Bourdain chats with Ted Nugent about how gross fat people are. I found the link via Rachel's post on the F-Word Blog. Mega dittos, Rachel. Can there be a bigger hypocrite on the planet than Anthony Bourdain? I used to like him. Now, not so much. Never did like Ted Nugent. I love the part where he talks about how disgusting it is to look at fat people. You know, because Nugent himself is such a hottie.

So as not to end on such a negative note, allow me to point you to this article about how kids' meals at fast-food restaurants have come under scrutiny for being unhealthy. I'm not up on my kids' meals and don't have a strong opinion about their content, but the refreshing thing about this article is that it never once mentions "the childhood obesity epidemic". Instead, it focuses on the healthiness (or lack thereof) of the food and on real medical conditions that result from eating what's in those kids' meals, rather than made-up ones meant to scare people. It would be nice to see a bit more of this in what passes for health and science reporting these days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You know, because Nugent himself is such a hottie."

Excellent link to demonstrate your point.

N. said...

He's even hotter now (shown in that photo with his oh-so-tasty "dinner").

And BK has "apple fries" for kids meals--they're just apple sticks, which is pretty awesome, because it means there's something at a fast food place that I can eat if I'm stuck on a long roadtrip. :)

Mary said...

Haha, that's a great photo too -- man, I'm so turned on right now. Too bad he'd never go for me.

That's cool about the apple fries. Do kids actually buy it or do you think they're like "whatever, you just cut these apples in the shape of french fries"? When I was a kid, my mom used to make "shrimp" out of apples for me, and I used to love those, but I don't think kids were demanding consumers back then like they are today.